Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Touring Egypt's Great Sphinx: Be Warned!

The ancient builders of the Great Sphinx trenched out a deep, U-shaped ditch that isolated a huge rectangular bedrock block for carving the Sphinx. This enclosure is deepest immediately around the body, with shelf at the rear of the monument where it was left unfinished and a shallower extension to the north where important archaeological finds have been made.

When Aussie and I were visiting the Great Sphinx last November, we exited the temple ruin (at the red arrow) into the area where many people were crowded in having their photos taken with the sphinx as a background (at the green arrow). With Aussie aiming the camera at me, I backed up, never seeing the sheer drop of 50 feet behind me. I was standing on the very edge of the drop-off; one tiny step back and I would have fallen into that pit! Coming out of the shade into the sun and the optical effect of the sphinx being on the same level as the top of the embankment completely fooled my eye. I didn't see my mistake until I took the camera and Aussie turned to look over his shoulder to make sure he wasn't backing over the edge!

No comments: