Friday, February 17, 2006

Picnic At Hanging Rock


Through sheer coincidence, Aussie and I found ourselves in Victoria at Hanging Rock on Valentine's Day! If you haven't seen the wonderful Peter Weir film, Picnic at Hanging Rock, it's on DVD so get yourself a copy and enjoy the mystery and illusion that is Hanging Rock. The simple plot is a group of school girls and their teacher go for a picnic at Hanging Rock on Valentine's Day in 1900. Three of the students and the teacher disappear. How and why are largely left up to the viewer to figure out. Even Joan Lindsay's novel from which the film was taken doesn't answer these questions through seventeen chapters. However, after the author's death, The Secret of Hanging Rock, also known as Chapter Eighteen, was published. In that last chapter which Lindsay deleted from the original publication, she solves the mystery of the disappearance. So after you have seen the DVD and worked out the ending for yourself, you can read about the final chapter here.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I have seen this movie! It is highly intrigueing. It's been so long I can't remember if I ever thought I figured out what happened, so this post makes me want to see the movie again.
I think it had to do with a man who worked at the school? I've never heard of "Chapter 18". Now, I have to know!

Candace said...

Don't click the link unless you want to know NOW as it spoils the ending of the movie.