Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Open Interviews

Here are a few quotes from interviews of winners after Round 1 of the Aussie Open.

  • MARY PIERCE (on inner peace): Well, you know, the peace in my life and just the happiness and joy and all that kind of stuff, not worrying about anything, that just comes with my relationship with the Lord more than -- that's pretty much it. Being at peace on the court, it all comes together. Being off the court or on the court, personally and professionally, that's the most important thing for me in my life. It's really made a difference, changed me as well over the last few years.
  • SERENA WILLIAMS (on what's in her head): I feel amazing right now. I just feel like dancing. I can just hear this song, this Beyonce song "Check on It." I just feel like getting down, doing the eagle. I have a lot of energy right now, it's really hot. I'm feeling much better than I have at The Open - Wimbledon, too.
  • ROGER FEDERER (on having an easy 1st round draw): Getting used to the conditions, I think, is obviously the main thing if you're playing against an opponent you're such a huge favorite in. You know, I thought it was not easy today because, you know, he was serving big, taking a lot of chances on my return. So we didn't see too many rallies, which didn't really allow me to get the rhythm going, you know. I guess I still believe it was a good match. I won comfortably. That's what counts most.
  • TOMMY HAAS (on his conditioning): Yeah, I would like to think that. You know, there's still a lot of things I need to work on to maybe be where I once was, if ever. I'm just trying to, like I said before, go out there, do my best, work hard, try to improve week in and week out, you know, give everybody a hard time playing against me, hopefully try to win as many matches as I can.
  • KIM CLIJSTERS (on her injuries): It was actually worse at the end. It got worse towards the end. You know, I got through, so that's the most important thing. That's what I'm most happy about. You know, I know that -- I knew that before I started I wasn't going to be able to play like I usually can, move freely. But, you know, that's where I had my mind set on. I knew that.I was just trying to get the best out of myself with the way that I physically can, and that's all I'm going to try to do.
  • SAMANTHA STOSUR (on playing on center court): Well, hopefully I get to get out there, yes. That's what everyone wants to do at a Grand Slam, is play on center court. If I get that opportunity, I'll certainly enjoy it out there.

No comments: